5651 Melvin Street
Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania 15217
(412) 422-2881 Home
(412) 401-5623 Cell
Manager, Modern Language Resource Center – Carnegie Mellon University
2005 - Present
• Manage Modern Language Resource Center for Department of Modern Languages
• Program XML and HTML for French Online courses for the Open Learning Initiative and Pittsburgh Science of Learning Center
• Provide media services for the College of Humanities and Social Sciences at Carnegie Mellon University
Owner – ITCare 2003 – Present
• Independent IT consulting firm specializing in Network and Security issues for the small business and home markets.
Network Systems Manager – PIA/GATF 2004 – 2005
• Manage Information Systems for Printing Industries of America and the Graphic Arts Technical Foundation.
• Upgrade domain to Windows 2003 from Windows NT and consolidated domain structure.
• Upgrade and unify Microsoft Exchange 5.5 e-mail systems to Microsoft Exchange 2003. Upgrade e-mail clients to Microsoft Outlook and Entourage
• Provide strategic technological planning within the organization. Design and implement Active Directory structure integrating Windows and Macintosh clients.
• Manage Macintosh OSX desktop and lab computers
• Manage Windows 98 – XP desktop computers
• Integrate Blackberry and Palm devices into network and e-mail systems.
Systems Engineer – FamilyLinks, Inc. 2001 – 2003
• Built, installed and upgraded Dell Poweredge 2550 and Compaq Proliant 3000 and 1600 servers migrating from Windows NT to Windows 2000.
• Network Administrator for NT4.0, Windows 2000 and Novell 5.1 networks and Citrix Metaframe and SQL servers.
• Administered server backups using Veritas Backup Exec. Upgraded backup systems to version 8.6 and installed backup system at remote sites
• Technical leader for HIPAA Privacy and Security rules implementation. Security official under HIPAA regulations.
• Designed and implemented network upgrades.
• Established help desk operation for agency including tracking of helpdesk activity.
• Supervised network specialists and provided second and third tier support for the help desk.
• Trainer for software and business processes.
• Led research, design, and implementation of telecommunications, information systems and electronic information security including Active Directory and Exchange e-mail.
• Managed planning, procurement, asset management, software licensing, installation, performance monitoring, upgrades and maintenance of telecommunications and information systems.
• Prepared budget for information and telecommunications operations.
• Lead technical analyst for agency technology unification and interim technology plans.
• Initiated and was technical project leader for conversion to wireless internet service.
• Saved agency $57,000 a year by switching ISP, LEC and negotiating new cell phone contract.
• Developed and implemented policies for technology use.
• Computer system imaging using Symantec Ghost.
MIS Technical Specialist – Forman Enterprises 2000 – 2001
• Project leader for the upgrade of AS/400 Integrated Netfinity Server to Windows 2000.
• Project leader for RAS on Windows 2000 internetworking project.
• Webmaster and postmaster for americanoutpost.com. Developed and maintained website.
• Provided operational support for AS/400 applications including Island Pacific Transaction system.
• Provided support for store Point of Sales operations including Connect Remote polling system.
• Provided network and desktop support to users at Forman Enterprises.
Senior Member Technical Staff – AV Technology / Computer Sciences Corporation
1997 – 2000
NOTE: CSC took over the technology operations of AV Technology in 1999, and I continued in the same role under the changed management.
• Project Leader for the conversion of the AV Technology Macintosh computing environment to Windows NT. Planned, tested procedures, evaluated results, and implemented conversion.
• Technical Leader for General Dynamics Macintosh file preservation project for CSC.
• Built, configured, and administered Windows NT and AppleShare IP servers for AV Technology.
• Project Leader for Palm® deployment project and biometric ID projects.
• Provided LAN System support for the 36-server domain at General Dynamics Land System.
• Postmaster for avtllc.com e-mail system.
• Evaluated hardware for purchase by CSC for General Dynamics Land Systems.
• Managed hardware and software testing lab for CSC at General Dynamics Land Systems Sterling Heights location.
• Evaluated application software for use within standard corporate computing environment.
• Configured standard desktop computer systems with Windows 95/98, Windows NT 4.0 and Windows 2000. Created and deployed software images using Symantec Ghost.
• Telephone system administration including programming of Panasonic DBS 576 switch.
• Managed tape backup operations using Arcserve and Retrospect products.
• Project manager for new building technical infrastructure.
– Designed network and telephone infrastructure including writing call for proposal, evaluating bids and supervising construction of two buildings linked with fiber-optic cabling.
– Advised builder and architect in adding appropriate telecommunications and server areas.
– Designed office and work area layout and supervised installation of cubicles, electrical wiring, data wiring and telephone wiring.
• Administered network, telecommunications, and computing operations using CISCO IOS, Eagle Raptor firewall, Panasonic DBS, Windows NT, AppleShare IP.
Senior Media Designer – University of Michigan 1987 – 1997
• Managed Instructional computer lab at the University of Michigan. Supervised student employees and technical staff, directed Optical Character Recognition facility.
• Prepared budget for Language Resource Center.
• Administered satellite teleconferencing for the University of Michigan.
• Supervised video duplication and video standards conversion activities.
• Consulted on video network operations for University of Michigan UMTV project.
• Produced computer software and video programs for language instruction.
• Designed and installed satellite systems for the Language Resource Center.
2005 – Present Manager, Modern Language Resource Center
2004 – 2005 Network Systems Manager, PIA/GATF
2001 – 2003 Systems Engineer / Network Administrator, FamilyLinks, Inc.
2000 – 2001 MIS Technical Specialist, Forman Enterprises
1997 – 2000 Senior Member Technical Staff, AV Technology and Computer Sciences Corporation
1987 – 1997 Senior Media Designer, Language Resource Center, University of Michigan
1985 – 1986 Production Engineer, Mark Video Enterprises, Ann Arbor, MI
1984 – 1985 Production Engineer, WMHT TV, Schenectady, NY
1982 – 1984 Production and Operations Engineer, WAMC-FM, Albany, NY
1981 – 1982 Production Assistant, Instructional Resources, SUNY College at Buffalo
1977 – 1979 Operations Engineer, WAMC-FM, Albany, NY
2002 – Implementing and administering Microsoft Windows 2000 Directory Services; Implementing Microsoft Windows 2000 Directory Services Infrastructure; Implementing a Microsoft Windows 2000 Network Infrastructure; Designing a Microsoft Windows 2000 Migration Strategy, New Horizons
2000 – Administering Microsoft Windows NT4.0, New Horizons
1999 – Supporting Microsoft Windows NT4.0 Core Technologies, New Horizons
1990 – Education 603 - Educational Software Design, University of Michigan School of Education
1979 – 1982 Journalism, Broadcasting and Speech (Concentration: Broadcast Production) SUNY College at Buffalo
1974 – 1976 Journalism, Broadcasting and Speech (Concentration: Broadcast Production) SUNY College at Buffalo
• "QuickTime 101" (workshop with Philomena Meechan & Claire Bradin Siskin), CALICO '99 Symposium.
• “Data Collection in CALL,” Proceedings of the CALICO 1994 Symposium, March 1994
• “Don't Use a Computer: A Rationale for Appropriate Technology in CALL Evangelism,” Presentation at the CALICO 1993 Symposium, March 1993
• “Multimedia Authoring System Shoot-out,” CALICO 1991 Symposium, March 1991
• “Satellite Footprint,” column in The IALL Journal, 1993 and 1994
• “Distance Education in Language Learning,” Roundtable at International Association of Learning Laboratories biannual conference, May 1995
• “Introduction to Campus Computing resources and to the Internet,” Presentation of the Instructional Workshop Series at the University of Michigan, October 1995
• NEALLT – Northeast Association of Language Learning Technology Technology support for NEALLT conferences 2004, 2005. • IALLT – International Association of Language Learning Technology Technology support for IALLT conference 1995, Notre Dame University • CALICO – Computer Assisted Language Instruction Consortium
- Technology Liaison for CALICO 2000, 2001 and 2002 Symposia.
Technology support CALICO Symposia 1994 – 1997, 1999.
Chair, CALICO Courseware Development SIG 1995-1996.
Associate Chair, CALICO Courseware Development SIG 1994-1995.
References available upon request.